Thursday, September 09, 2010

John Lennon on "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

"Oh, I like that, one of my best. I had forgotten about that. Oh, I love it. I think it's a beautiful song. I like all the different things that are happening in it. Like 'God,' I had put together some three sections of different songs, it was meant to be -- it seemed to run through all the different kinds of rock music."

"It wasn't [about heroin]. It was never--like all the ones that really--like LSD, the 'Lucy in the Sky,' which I swear to God or swear to Mao, or anybody you like, I'd no intention. 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun' is the same. George Martin had a fuckin' book on guns, or he told me about it--I can't remember--I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said, 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something."

No comments: