Saturday, February 18, 2006

I'm A Loser

AUTHORSHIP Lennon (.9) and McCartney (.1)
LENNON: "That's me in my Dylan period. . . . Part of suspects I'm a loser and part of me thinks I'm God almighty." September 1980, All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

Singer Jackie DeShannon was on the Beatles' summer 1964 North American tour. She recalled that Lennon was writing this song on the plane during the tour. RS (February 16, 1984)

McCARTNEY: "Looking back on it I think songs like 'I'm A Loser' and 'Nowhere Man' were John's cries for help. We used to listen to quite a lot of country and western songs and they are all about sadness and 'I lost my truck' so it was quite acceptable to sing 'I'm a loser'. You didn't really think about it at the time, it's only later you think, God! I think it was pretty brave of John. 'I'm A Loser' was very much John's song and there may have been a dabble or two from me." Paul McCartney: Many Years from Now

RECORDED
August 14, 1964, at Abbey Road

INSTRUMENTATION
McCARTNEY: bass, harmony vocal
LENNON: acoustic guitar, harmonica, lead vocal
HARRISON: lead guitar (Gretsch Tennessean [model PX6119])
STARR: drums, tambourine
guitar from Guitar (November 1987)

MISCELLANEOUS
This was once considered for release as a single in the United Kingdom until Lennon wrote "I Feel Fine." The Long and Winding Road: An Intimate Guide to the Beatles

This song was part of the Beatles' live repertoire in 1964 and 1965. The Complete Beatles Chronicle

No comments: