Saturday, July 24, 2010

George Harrison on the song "Dark Horse"

"I wrote that at five in the morning on my way to bed. I was just playing my guitar and I just thought of the line, 'I'm a dark horse.' When I was a kid, I always remember them saying, 'Oh, have you heard about Mrs. Penguin from the Co-op? She's knocking off Mr. Jones. Oh, she's a dark horse.' It was always that sort of thing. I was brought up knowing that dark horse was a phrase like that. So I thought, 'I'm a dark horse. Okay, I'm running on a dark racecourse,' but that just cracked me up. I thought, 'No, I can't use that. It's crummy.' Then, the next day, it was still on my mind and I thought, 'A dark racecourse? It may be silly, but it's so silly, it's fantastic, because that's the way it is. I'm a dark horse, but I'm running on a dark racecourse, you know.' What else do you expect? I was just born into it. Don't blame me, I'm a victim of circumstance."

No comments: