With The Beatles is The Beatles' second UK album, recorded four months after the band's first album and released on 22 November 1963 on Parlophone in mono (catalogue number PMC 1206) and stereo (PCS 3045.)
The album features eight original compositions (including the first by George Harrison) and six covers, mostly of Motown and R&B hits. Most of the songs from the album were released in the United States as Meet The Beatles! on 20 January 1964, and the remaining that were not, were released on their next U.S. album, The Beatles' Second Album.
The LP had advance orders of a half million and sold another half million by September 1965 — making it the second album to sell a million copies in the UK (the first being the South Pacific soundtrack). It stayed at the top of the charts for 21 weeks, displacing Please Please Me, so that the Beatles occupied the top spot for 51 consecutive weeks. It even reached number eleven in the "singles charts" (because at the time UK charts counted all records sold, regardless of format).
In 2003, the album was ranked number 420 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
On 26 February 1987, With The Beatles was officially released on Compact disc (in mono only, catalogue number CDP 7 46436 2), as were three other of the Beatles' albums, Please Please Me, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles for Sale. Having been available only as an import in the US in the past, the album was also issued domestically in the US on LP and cassette on 21 July 1987.
Along with all the other original UK studio albums, it will be re-released on CD in newly remastered versions on 9 September 2009 in stereo and mono editions. The expected 2009 remasters will replace the infamously poor quality 1987 remasters.
All songs written and composed by Lennon/McCartney, except where noted.
# Title Length
1. "It Won't Be Long" 2:13
2. "All I've Got to Do" 2:04
3. "All My Loving" 2:09
4. "Don't Bother Me" (George Harrison) 2:29
5. "Little Child" 1:48
6. "Till There Was You" (Meredith Willson) 2:16
7. "Please Mister Postman" (Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Freddie Gorman, Brian Holland, Robert Bateman) 2:36
# Title Length
8. "Roll Over Beethoven" (Chuck Berry) 2:47
9. "Hold Me Tight" 2:32
10. "You Really Got a Hold on Me" (Smokey Robinson) 3:02
11. "I Wanna Be Your Man" 1:59
12. "Devil in Her Heart" (Richard P. Drapkin) 2:27
13. "Not a Second Time" 2:08
14. "Money" (Janie Bradford, Berry Gordy) 2:47
* George Harrison – lead, harmony and background vocals; lead and acoustic guitars; handclaps; nylon-string acoustic guitar on "Till There Was You"
* John Lennon – lead, harmony and background vocals; rhythm and acoustic guitars; harmonica and handclaps; nylon-string acoustic guitar on "Till There Was You"; Hammond organ on "I Wanna Be Your Man" and tambourine on "Don't Bother Me"
* Paul McCartney – lead, harmony and background vocals; bass guitar and handclaps; piano on "Little Child" and claves on "Don't Bother Me"
* Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine, maracas, handclaps; lead vocals on "I Wanna Be Your Man" and Arabian loose-skin bongo on "Don't Bother Me"
* Robert Freeman – cover photograph
* George Martin – arrangements, producer and mixer; piano on "You Really Got a Hold on Me", "Money (That´s What I Want)" and "Not A Second Time"
* Norman Smith: engineer and mixer
Sales chart positions
Billboard charts (North America) Year Song Chart Rank
1964 "All My Loving" Billboard Hot 100 45
1964 "Roll Over Beethoven" Billboard Hot 100 68
Released: 22 November 1963
Recorded: 18 July – 23 October 1963, Abbey Road Studios, London, United Kingdom
Genre: Rock and roll, pop, beat music
Producer: George Martin