Friday, July 24, 2009

June 19, 1967 - ITV News

Taped: Monday 19 June 1967
Aired: Monday 19 June 1967

After Paul's admission in Life Magazine, the British press besieged him to make a statement. Paul gave an interview to Independent Television News for broadcast on the 9pm news that evening.

Reporter: 'How often have you taken LSD?"

Paul: "Um, four times."

Reporter: "And where did you get it from?"

Paul: "Well, you know, I mean, if I was to say where I got it from, you know, it's illegal and everything, it's silly to say that so I'd rather not say it."

Reporter: "Don't you believe that this was a matter which you should have kept private?"

Paul: "Well the thing is, you know, that I was asked a question by a newspaper and the decision was whether to tell a lie or to tell the truth, you know. I decided to tell him the truth but I really didn't want to say anything because if I'd had my way I wouldn't have told anyone because I'm not trying to spread the word about this but the man from the newspaper is the man from the mass medium. I'll keep it a personal thing if he does too, you know, if he keeps it quiet. But he wanted to spread it so it's his responsibility for spreading it. Not mine."

Reporter: "But you're a public figure and you said it in the first place. You must have known that it would make the newspapers."

Paul: "Yes, but to say it, you know, is only to tell the truth. I'm telling the truth. I don't know what everyone is so angry about."

Reporter: "Well, do you think you have encouraged your fans to take drugs?"

Paul: "I don't think it will make any difference. You know, I don't think my fans are going to take drugs just because I did. But the thing is, that's not the point anyway. I was asked whether I had or not and from then on the whole bit about how far its going to go and how many people it's going to encourage is up to the newspapers and up to you, you know, on television. I mean, you're spreading this now, at this moment. This is going into all the homes in Britain and I'd rather it didn't, you know. But you're asking me the question and if you want me to be honest I'll be honest."

Reporter: "But as a public figure, surely you've got a responsibility to not say any . . ."

Paul: "No, it's you who've got the responsibility. You've got the responsibility not to spread this now. You know, I'm quite prepared to keep it as a very personal thing if you will too. If you'll shut up about it, I will!"

No comments: