Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Get Back Sessions - Lunch Room Tape - January 13, 1969

With George Harrison having left the Beatles three days before, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, and Mal Evans sit in the Twickenham Film Studios lunch room and discuss George's departure, while Let It Be director Michael Lindsay-Hogg secretly records the proceedings...

CAMERAMAN: This is roll 132, roll 132 coming on now.

CAMERAMAN: This is roll 132, slate 232, camera A.

JOHN: I knew it wasn't... anything from her... You know, I sacrifice it all to her which is how it was, you know. And that's all it was, so I...

PAUL: So where's George?

YOKO: You can get back George so easy, you know that, you know.

JOHN: But it's not that easy, because it's a festering wound that was allowed to - I mean, yesterday, we allowed it to get even deeper, but we didn't give him any.... and it's only because George - when he comes up, when he is that far in it - we - that ego...

RINGO: Well, if it'll help I'll get me...

JOHN: How do - you know, what do you do?

MAL: What do you want, Paul?

PAUL: Dos Equis, please.

MAL: Linda?

LINDA: Water.

JOHN: It was yesterday, really - or even the day before when we went to George's...

PAUL: I wouldn't like you to dig your heels in. I mean, if I'm to look - if I'm sort of behind this - I really don't like to be smothered. If I could sit up on a shelf... thinking we're... or literally I wanna...

JOHN: I was asking do I want it back, whatever it is... then if it is enough I'd have to... for you and I have to... for you, to carry on for whatever reasons there is, and so...

PAUL: Everyone's asking what I'm trying to do. 'Cause I've gone long enough.

JOHN: ...bored last year, then he has... because I think he's been on a good ride... he could afford to be more... whatever it was...

PAUL: Could it just be... Kevin?

JOHN: ..whatever it was, you know. This year, he suddenly realized. And - it's just that, you know. It's only this year that he suddenly realized who I am or who he is, or anything like that. But the thing is...

PAUL: ...process...

JOHN: Like you were saying, like George did some other part... but up 'til then, you'd had a... your thing that carried you forward. I know I deduced it before you - all right, that'll make me hipper than you - but I know that I suggested to you before that, for selfish reasons, not knowin what I was doing, all these reasons...

MAL: Lemonade?

JOHN: ...and allowed you, you know, if you wanted to... seen what you've been doing, and what everybody's been doing, and not only felt guilty about it, the way we all feel guilty about our relationship to each other, meaning we could do more - I know - the thing is that I'm not putting any blame on you... it might have been masochistic... the goal was still the same, it's self-preservation. You know, and I knew that... I know where... and let him do what he wants, and George too, you know...

PAUL: I know, I know the one thing...

JOHN: But I think you have... whatever it is that he has.

PAUL: Yeah, I know, but I'm...

JOHN: Because you... I know that because of the way I am, like when you were at Mendips, like: "do you like me?", or whatever you did, I've always played that one. But this year, it's all happening to you, and you've - you're taking... suddenly, as if - you've said, oh yeah, you know I'm... and then you start... I know what it's like - "I know he used to kick people - I know how he connived with Len, Ivan, and" - you know - fuckin'... all that. So you've taken the five years, because you've... you've taken the five years of trouble this year. You know, so, half of me says, y'know, I'll do anything to save you, to help you, and the other half says, well, serves him fucking right, I've been through fucking shit because of him for five years, and he's only just realized what he was doing to me. So, they both... you know, it is incredible.

PAUL: Yeah. Well, I don't know. The only thing I can see is just sort of... see, I'm just assuming he's coming back, you know. I'm only assuming he's coming back.

JOHN: Well, what if he isn't?

PAUL: If he isn't, then it's a new problem.

RINGO: I should think Michael would force us to sit down...

JOHN: Well, like if we said -

PAUL: The four of us.

JOHN: If we wanted - if we do want it - I still do want the four, man, whether I do want it... but if we do decide we want it as a policy, I can go along with that, because the policy has kept us together.

PAUL: Well, the thing is -

JOHN: But if we want it because we want it - the thing is, like George saying yesterday, the Beatles, to me, isn't just the four of us. I think that I alone was treated as equals. I think you've put... I'm not sure that...

RINGO: Because he's...

JOHN: Well, all right - I'm just telling you what I think - I don't think that the Beatles revolve around four people. It might be...

PAUL: I'll tell you...

JOHN: It's like you joining instead of Pete. It's like... to me, it is like that.

No comments: