Sunday, July 02, 2006

Interview: John Lennon, Wellington - June 21, 1964

Q: You do have fans from all age groups, don’t you?

Lennon: Yes, some people say to…that when you get older fans, that kids don’t like you. It’s true of a pocket of kids, but it’s much more satisfying to have a good, you know, sort of…I can’t think of the word…coverage of…

Q: Yes.

Lennon: What’s the word? I can’t…what…you know. Oh, it doesn’t matter anyway. More different types than just one packet of…pocket of, sort of…one packet of little fans in one corner, you know!

Q: Your book, In My Own Write [sic], what’s it all about, John?

Lennon: It’s about nothing. You know, if you like it, you like it, if you don’t, you don’t. That’s all there is to it. There’s nothing deep or anything in it, it’s just meant to be funny.

Q: Entertainment.

Lennon: I hope.

Q: What about the next one you’re writing?

Lennon: I don’t know, I’m just, you know, I don’t know whether I’ll ever write one if I get…you know, it just depends how I feel. I’m just writing now and then when I feel like. I only do it when I feel in a funny mood.

Q: You mentioned art school, were you going to be an artist of some kind?

Lennon: I went to art school because there didn’t seem to be any hope for me in any other field, and it was about the only thing I could do possibly. But I didn’t do very well there, either, ‘cause I’m lazy, you see. So that’s the way it goes.

Q: Did you use your art at all? Have you done any drawings?

Lennon: I did the drawings for the book. Those…that’s the most amount of drawing I’ve done since I left college.

Q: John, what was your group called originally?

Lennon: We had one or two names. I had a group before I met the others called the Quarry Men. And then Paul joined it, and then George joined it, and then we began to change the names for different bookings, you know. And then we finally hit upon the Beatles.

Q: And what about the haircut?

Lennon: That just, it’s so long ago, we can hardly remember, you know. It was something to do with Paris and something to do with Hamburg, only we’re not quite sure now, because there’s so much been written about it, even we’ve forgotten. That’s true, we just…

Q: Have to read it up to find out.

Lennon: Yeah, well, you know, they just make it up about the hair now, but it…something sort of happened between Hamburg and Paris.

Q: What do you feel about all the manufacturers sort of jumping on the bandwagon, and all the Beatle shoes and bags and clothes?

Lennon: Well, most of them spelling it B-E-A-T-L-E-S we have got some, sort of, thing in it. I don’t know how it’s worked, our accountants do it. So I don’t mind it, you know, as long as we’re in on it. And the ones that aren’t are usually tracked down, if you’re listening. And the one…the clever ones trying to use B-double-E, it doesn’t often help, you know.

Q: Is there anything you want to do and see while you’re in New Zealand?

Lennon: I want to see this stuff steaming out of the ground.

Q: Will you get up there?

Lennon: I don’t know, we’ll try.

No comments: