Thursday, March 02, 2006

I Me Mine

AUTHORSHIP Harrison (1.00)
Harrison based the music on a song he saw performed by an Austrian marching band on TV. RS (July 9, 1970)

HARRISON: " 'I Me Mine' is the ego problem. . . . [After experiencing LSD] I looked around and everything I could see was relative to my ego - you know, like 'that's my piece of paper' and 'that's my flannel,' or 'give it to me' or 'I am.' It drove me crackers; I hated everything about my ego - it was a flash of everything false and impermanent which I disliked.
"But later I learned from it: to realize that there is somebody else in here apart from old blabbermouth (that's what I felt like - I hadn't seen or heard or done anything in my life, and yet I hadn't stopped talking). Who and 'I' became the order of the day.
"Anyway, that's what came out of it: 'I Me Mine.' . . . Allen Klein thought it was an Italian song - you know, 'Cara Mia Mine' - but it's about the ego, the eternal problem. . . ." I Me Mine

RECORDED
January 3, 1970, at Abbey Road, without Lennon. An orchestra and choir were overdubbed by producer Phil Spector April 1.

INSTRUMENTATION
McCARTNEY: piano, harmony vocal
HARRISON: acoustic guitar, lead electric guitar, lead vocal (double-tracked)
STARR: drums
BILLY PRESTON: organ
SESSION MUSICIANS: strings

MISCELLANEOUS
A year later, when rough cuts of the film showed that this song's rehearsal scenes would be included, the Beatles had to go into the studio and make a proper recording. The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970

No comments: