Tuesday, May 21, 2024

What Did the Beatles Think of Joe Cocker?

The Beatles had a positive opinion of Joe Cocker, particularly regarding his cover of their song "With a Little Help from My Friends." Cocker's rendition of the song, which was notably different from the original, gained significant popularity and critical acclaim. Paul McCartney in particular praised Cocker's soulful and distinctive interpretation of the song:

He was a lovely northern lad who I loved a lot and like many people I loved his singing. I was especially pleased when he decided to cover "With a Little Help from My Friends" and I remember him and Denny Cordell coming round to the studio in Savile Row and playing me what they’d recorded and it was just mind blowing, totally turned the song into a soul anthem and I was forever grateful to him for doing that. 

In fact, Cocker's version became so iconic that it is often associated with him more than with the Beatles themselves. Joe Cocker also covered the songs "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" and "Something," tracks from their iconic album Abbey Road for his album Joe Cocker! released in 1969, also releasing "Let It Be" as a B-side. 



No comments: