Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'm Looking Through You

AUTHORSHIP McCartney (1.00)
This song was provoked by the difficulties of Paul's stormy relationship with Jane Asher, who insisted on putting her acting career first and continued to spend most of her time in Bristol. Written in Paul's attic room at Wimpole Street, surrounded by the evidence of Jane and her family, the lyrics are unusually specific and personal for Paul, who normally preferred to universalise his songs.

McCARTNEY: "As is one's wont in relationships, you will from time to time argue or not see eye to eye on things, and a couple of the songs around this period were that kind of thing. This one I remember particularly as me being disillusioned over her commitment. She went down to the Bristol Old Vic quite a lot around this time. Suffice it to say that this one was probably related to that romantic episode and I was seeing through her facade. And realising that it wasn't quite all that it seemed. I would write it out in a song and then I've got rid of the emotion. I don't hold grudges so that gets rid of that little bit of emotional baggage. I remember specifically this one being about that, getting rid of some emotional baggage. 'I'm looking through you, and you're not there!' I think it's totally my song. I don't remember any of John's assistance." Paul McCartney: Many Years from Now

RECORDED
October 24, 1965, but remade November 6 and again November 10, with vocals overdubbed November 11 at Abbey Road

INSTRUMENTATION
McCARTNEY: bass, lead vocal (double-tracked)
LENNON: acoustic guitar, harmony vocal
HARRISON: lead guitar, tambourine
STARR: drums, Hammond organ

No comments: