Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Geoff Emerick on Recording "Tomorrow Never Knows"

"I'd been engineering about three months up until the time when Norman [Smith] wanted to become a producer. I'd always worked with Norman as his second engineer, tape operator. Then George Martin asked me, 'Would I do the Beatles?' I didn't know whether to say yes or no, but I said 'Yes.' 'Tomorrow Never Knows' was the first track that was cut for Revolver. At the time the multi-track machine was remote from the control room in the studio. It was in another room in the building. I always remember the staff at Abbey Road gathering outside the room, listening to these backward loops and things that went on that track because no one had ever heard anything like it before. Looking back on it now, it's commonplace."

No comments: