Wednesday, December 16, 2009

George Harrison on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

"I wrote 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at my mother's house in the north of England. I had my guitar and I wanted to write a song. I do this often, actually. If I haven't particularly got an idea for a song, then I believe it's a bit like the I Ching, where everything at that moment is relative to that situation. So 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' was typical of that. I opened a book that was around, and the first thing I looked at became the song. It was something about 'gently weeps.' Then from that the whole thought started going and I wrote the song. Eric Clapton played guitar on it. Lots of people don't realize that. Some people wrote letters to me saying, 'You've got a really good blues feel with that guitar.' We didn't publicize it, but we didn't, like, keep it a secret. Eric's a good friend of mine, and I really dig him as a guitarist and as a guy."

No comments: