Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Good Day Sunshine

AUTHORSHIP McCartney (.8) and Lennon (.2)
McCARTNEY: "It was really very much a nod to the Lovin' Spoonful's 'Daydream', the same traditional, almost trad-jazz feel. That was our favourite record of theirs. 'Good Day Sunshine' was me trying to write something similar to 'Daydream'. John and I wrote it together at Kenwood, but it was basically mine, and he helped me with it." Paul McCartney: Many Years from Now

LENNON: "Paul [wrote this]. But I think maybe I helped him with some of the lyric." Hit Parader (April 1972)

RECORDED
June 8, 1966, at Abbey Road, with overdubs added June 9

INSTRUMENTATION
McCARTNEY: bass, lead vocal
LENNON: harmony vocal
HARRISON: harmony vocal
STARR: drums
GEORGE MARTIN: piano

COMMENTS BY OTHERS
This song was praised, particularly for its construction, by Leonard Bernstein in a 1967 CBS news documentary. It Was Twenty Years Ago Today

No comments: